10 Tips For An Instantly Photogenic Face. Ugh. Selfies.
If you can rock a selfie, then I love you. I just can’t. And the sheer proliferation of cameras everywhere means you’re getting posted everywhere, whether you like it or not. On your best friend’s Facebook page (and it will be the hot one of HER, make no mistake) or on your company’s website. There’s just no way to escape it, eh? Whether you’re taking them or someone else is, make it a good one. Here’s how…
10 Tips For An Instantly Photogenic Face
1. Avoid the Cursed Double Chin by elongating your neck and pushing your forehead slightly forward and your chin slightly down.
2. You have one of those huge, dorky smiles like mine? (Editor’s note: swear to God, when I grin my jaw splits in half like a snake trying to swallow a rabbit.) Avoid a big fat gummy smile by pushing your tongue against the roof of your mouth.
3. Mascara and curled eyelashes make all the difference. I learned this from my girlie Carla, who’s a Makeup Artist To The Stars. She insists the combination opens up your eyes better than anything else. “The flash catches the light of your eyes and makes them sparkle,” she says.
4. Make sure your hair is shiny. You can add spray-on shine with a subtle mist that makes your hair look thicker and will catch the light in a more flattering way. I like the Fekkai stuff–Fekkai Glossing Sheer Shine Mist Smooth Hair Products 5 Fl Oz it’s a smoother too so it hides all the flyaway bits.
5. Look up at a light right before someone takes your photo–your pupils will shrink and it reduces the chance of the dreaded “red eye.”
6. Turn your head to a three-quarters position–it’s more flattering than a straight-on head shot.
7. There’s a reason celebrities and models all use the same pose on the red carpet–it works. Put your hand on your hip, angle your body to the side and turn your head towards the camera. It really does work to help you look slimmer. (Editor’s note: take a look at Taylor Swift’s photo above–point made.)
8. Avoid a dark matte lipstick, it creates a harsh line and makes you look older. Try something a little lighter with a glossy finish. None available? Lick your lips right before the shot.
9. Do a little research: take a look at the photos of yourself you like the most. Are you smiling in a certain way? Posing? See what made you really shine.
10. Photos taken from slightly above you will always be more flattering. If you’re taller than the camera, walk down a step or sit down. Make sure to put your shoulders back for better posture.
Cutest selfie ever–and not just because she got Beyonce in the picture! She’s happy, her smile is natural, eyes are sparkling…perfect.