Seriously, I’m starving tonight and I can’t make this ’til tomorrow. Join me, won’t you? This is my girlie Janelle’s favoritest cake in all the world. Three of us almost got in a fistfight at her last brunch over who got the last piece.
Chocolate Malt Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate fudge topping
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 2 cups malted milk ball candies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate fudge topping
- *Additional malted milk ball candies, if desired–and I DO
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom and side of springform pan, 9×3 or 10×2 3/4 inches, with shortening; lightly flour. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir vigorously about 1 minute or until well blended. Immediately pour into pan.
2. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
3. Spread 1 cup fudge topping over cake; freeze about 1 hour or until topping is firm. In large bowl, mix ice cream and coarsely chopped candies; spread over cake. Freeze about 4 hours or until ice cream is firm.
4. In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
5. Remove side of pan; place cake on serving plate. Top with whipped cream. Melt 1/4 cup fudge topping; drizzle over whipped cream. Garnish with additional candies.
Janelle gives culinary credit for this cake to Betty Crocker.com