Watching my soon-to-be son-in-law Scott stuffing jalepeno poppers in his mouth like a squirrel storing nuts for winter~made me wonder what was just so addictive about jalepeno peppers and cheese. And could you do that in a sandwich?
Turns out, it’s already been done. Behold the Awesome:
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese source: adapted from BS’ in the Kitchen
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- Butter, softened
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 4 to 6 pickled jalapeños, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed, and patted dry
- Sliced American cheese (or whatever cheese you choose), 2-3 slices per sandwich depending on the thickness of the cheese
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Lightly butter one side of all the bread slices
- Divide the cream cheese between two of the slices, spreading it out evenly on the un-buttered side of the bread. Lay the jalapeños halves over the cream cheese. Lay the American cheese over the jalapeños and add the second piece of bread, butter side up.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan and cover the pan with a lid or piece of aluminum foil; this will help to retain the heat in the pan and melt the cheese. Heat each side of the sandwich until desired darkness and until the cheese inside is melted. Slice and serve warm.
Yields: 2 sandwiches