Look, I’m the first person to type in “Amazon.com” when I’m shopping for the Holidays, but if you’re sick of the usual fruit basket or anonymous gift card, there’s some amazing options here along the Wasatch Front. Let’s Shop Local this year, shall we? (Editor’s note: As far as I know, none of these local business are currently advertising with us here at Rewind 100.7, (aside from Enlighten Laser) I selected them based on personal experience or positive reviews, there’s no financial interest involved.)
Shop Local: 10 Unique Gifts Along The Wasatch Front
1. For the Thrillseeker: pick up a tandem sky-diving package from Sky Dive The Wasatch for $149–send the one you love plunging down from 800 feet in the air attached to an experienced instructor. There’s affordable classes, too.
(Photo credit: I Heart Salt Lake)
2. For the Chocoholic: The Chocolate Cottage in Sandy is Heaven: fresh English Toffee at any moment, salted caramels and chocolate sculpted into all manner of amazing things. I learned about the Chocolate Cottage at Comic Con, where they were selling out of the white chocolate Millenium Falcons, filled with caramel. Ooooooo….
3. For the “Wild Card”: The NPS Store out by the SL Airport is the most delightfully random pile of stuff you’ve ever seen–essentially a salvage store, NPS has a little of everything, from vitamins to Barbies. It’s like spinning the Wheel O’ Product, every time.
4. For the Hot Stuff: you’d be surprised at the plethora of Awesome available at Enlighten Laser:bioidentical hormones to put the spring back in your step, all the really cool skin care lines (like Obagi) for less, and the lowest price on Botox, Restalyn and Juviderm in the valley.
5. For the Bookworm: Sam Weller Bookstore is a local institution–owning the local book market for over 80 years. It’s the largest independent bookstore in the western US, and they just opened a new eBook section.
6. For the Health Nut: Vive Juicery serves pristine, cold-pressed juices from sublime combinations of everything from kale to coconut water. They even deliver and generously rebate when you return those pretty glass bottles. They just opened their third location!
7. For the Green Thumb: J&J Nursery in Layton is an all-day event: locally grown plants, trees and for the Holidays, poinsettias in every hue and combination. There’s a huge gift store filled with unusual and charming home decor–much of which now resides at Chez Collard.
8. For the Gourmet: Orson Gygi is The Todd’s porn. I’m not kidding, he can wander through the store in SLC for hours, blissfully touching the shiny stainless steel tools, the perfectly prepared chocolates, the robust cooking pots. Everything culinary, including cooking lessons.
9. For the Littles: run from the soul-less conglomerates and shop at The Red Balloon, a locally-owned store with a wonderful selection of old-school toys, carefully designated age and development selections, and toys and games you won’t find anywhere else. Three locations!
10. For the Lovebirds: you know who you are. Blue Boutique is a local creation from a father-daughter team who offer everything from adorable Halloween costumes to brightly colored liquids and gels for…uh…stuff. Drop by the back room if you’re feeling daring. They also have an experienced artists on hand for body piercing. Four locations!
So, who have I missed? Are there some great local gift ideas you can add?