1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (that’s about 3 medium-sized bananas)
4 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (nonfat)
1 Tablespoon soy or almond milk
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips – if you’re serving these at your kid’s school and you want to be uber nutrition Nazi mom, use dark chocolate chip for their additional health benefits.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray 12 cup standard muffin tin or 24 cup mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. I used mini muffin tin.
- In a bowl whisk dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl mash bananas, add honey, oil, vanilla, milk, Greek yogurt and egg. Mix until smooth. The batter is easy to mix by hand, I don’t have a fancy mixer, and I use this as “aerobics” so that I can consume an extra muffin with a clear conscience.
- Add dry ingredients and mix (or whisk) until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tin with batter nearly to the top- the mixture doesn’t really raise much during baking. Bake until the toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out almost clean (with a few crumbs attached). It takes about 20-25 minutes for regular sized muffins or 14-16 minutes for mini muffins.